Monday, March 21, 2016

Hapless Historian Highlights!

Reworking the Writing
Antonio_abad.jpg
By Abadvibes via Wikimedia Commons
“Antonio Abad”

Here’s What’s Coming Up

In light of recent changes in my goals, I’m refocusing this space to highlight Fil-Am history, US history and my own reflections on these topics. Posts will come each Monday. This space will focus across the spectrum on articles, film and cuisine experiences I find interesting, and ones that may interest a few people who visit this blog.


Please let me know what you’d like to see in the coming weeks, as I am always looking for your perspectives!


In the meantime, here’s a few highlights from the past year or so. These are moments I liked and ones you might want to revisit. Feel free to comment or message me if you’d like to know more! Thank you for your time and continued support.

Hungry History Highlights

Hungry History: Filipino Arroz Caldo!! (Lugaw)

This is a lovely, savory rice porridge that I was introduced to in graduate school. It comes in powdered instant versions, but is not complicated to make with a good recipe. Like many Filipino recipes, this seems to be one where each family has their version. The key is good quality ingredients and knowing where you need to make adjustments for your family’s needs. Water and chicken broth can be mixed to adjust the sodium levels.

Hungry History: Sandwiches!!

I was always curious where the word “sandwich” came from, as I was curious about a number of words we use (did you know the English “typhoon” has Chinese and Persian origins?). Additionally, I was wondering about the short history of something as popular as the American sandwich, which has a place in nearly all of my generation’s sack lunches (does anyone use sacks anymore?). I also made a really yummy sandwich that inspired this post, pictured!

Hungry History: Spam Musubi!!

Surprisingly, I’d never had these Hawaiian specialities, even after my short trip to the Islands. I had always thought Spam was a mystery meat of questionable quality, but was happy to find it can be used to make something really yummy!

Movie Monday Highlights

Movie Monday: "The Patriot," a film by Roland Emmerich

Admittedly liberal in historical accuracy and heavy on emotional appeal, the star power of Mel Gibson, coupled with the patriotic (pun intended) narrative, makes the awareness of this film no surprise. While it goes out of its way to vilify the British, and does look favorably on the Rebels, it does reflect many ideals that our nation, including the belief than anyone, regardless of skin color, has an opportunity (albeit unequally) to make something of themselves. It is also entertaining as one of my “guilty” history-related pleasures.

Movie Monday: "The Mountain Thief," a film by Gerry Balasta, 2010

This was an eye-opening film for me, particularly as it relates to the Philippines. While I had come across poverty in my graduate research before, I don’t believe many films capture the sheer gap between haves and have nots as this one. It is undeniably real in its portrayals, and I’m so thankful it had English subtitles. As I mention in the review, I believe this film “should be required viewing for all college students, ‘first world’ citizens worldwide, and professed religious individuals who would seek to know and better the world,” so everyone can understand the side effects of political and economic inequality.

Proud Moment!

My Winning Submission: EDSA/People Power Revolution Essay Writing Contest

I’ve already posted this multiple times, so please excuse me, but it still stands as one of my more proud recent moments while working on this blog. The Bay Area Fil-Am community members were very welcoming and had nothing but positive things to say about my submission. I was thankful to share the stage with several key Fil-Am and Filipino community members, as well as many talented writers and artists from music and poetry. I’ve made professional connections and reconnected a little with my Filipino and Fil-Am heritage. Thank you all so much!

Here’s to the Future

I am excited to move forward with my blog project, and for the topics and writings I have in the works. I want to thank you for your ongoing support, please click “Like” and keep in touch on Facebook to help guide where the content goes from here. Thank you so much for your ongoing support!

No comments:

Post a Comment